Re: Re[2]: Luggage options

 >At 11:36 AM 07/16/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
 >I hate to disagree (ok, I quite enjoy it really...) but the new Givi
 >backrest for the Elegant or Standard 45 litre top box is a total piece of
c$#p!
 >It costs DM80,- here ($42!), weighs near 2kg, comes with an inaccurate
 >fitting sheet, that means you end up cutting slots rather than holes in the
 >box; after fitting the box leaks of course.  The new pad comes with 'side
 >handles' and is so 'deep' that it pushes the pillion 6" down the rear seat
 >into the rider.  My pillion begged me to dispose of this junk after 50km on
 >our tour last weekend, and I am taking it back tonight.  It is mounted so
 >high on the box that it gets the pillion in the shoulder blades rather than
 >the lower back support area.
 >
 >I have not tried a Triumph unit for comparison but it looks alot better -
 >smaller, thinner and glued on rather than bolted?

Jonathan,

Obviously you forgot my previous rant on the Triumph top box back rest ....

It mounts with a combination of double sided tape and two screws (needing
holes drilled in the top box lid).

Problem is that it really doesn't fit all that well and you end up with the
sides pulled away all the way around, so in my opinion, it really looks
like crap. I even tried using some high strength 3M tape, but after a day
it had started to pull away again.

I was going to epoxy it on, when for kicks I had my wife try it out. Of
course you can guess the rest - it hit her at a strange spot in the back
and pushed her slightly forward, so she preferred having it removed. So,
that leaves me with two nice holes in my top box lid .....

- - Eric