Simple maintenance

        Thanks to everyone for responses to some of my earlier
queries....... here's another ST question: How much body work has to come
off to perform the simplest of maintenance procedures, the regular oil and
filter change?

        Regarding earlier replies, I guess beauty must indeed lie in the
eye of the beholder, since the ST with just the top box and required back
rack doesn't look bad to me. (Maybe this is because here where I live,
pizzas are usually delivered by old rattle-trap cars and trucks!  <G>)
        As for the high spped areodynamics..... my passenger would object
at considerably lower speeds than those mentioned, and if alone, I don't
usually make top speed runs carrying camping gear!  <G>
        For those who've tried installing the pack pad on their topbox then
removed it and are now stuck with holes in the box, I suggest you try
filling the holes with a couple of stainless steel oval head machine screws
and matching finishing washers. These shouldn't prove too uncomfortable for
your passenger and you might even be able to make use of the screws inside
the topbox, perhaps for a small container or net for securing loose items.
        Another way to deal with the screw holes might be to go to a marine
store and buy a thin (1/8th inch or so) rubber non-skid mat with adhesive
backing. This would cover the holes and you could justify its existence as
a less slippery surface for the passenger to lean against.
        Maybe these suggestions might either help or get you thinking of a
solution to the holes problem...
        Dan (upstate NY)