Weekend Ride

Well, like Lisa and Richard, I got to play in the rain this weekend.

I got an email from Kenny Stewart who is the SE US Triumph Rep saying that
he would be in the area and wanted to go for a ride. As I had just been
freed from parental duties by a carload of girls heading to the beach, I
quickly agreed. Took a quick glance at the weather channel, and saw no rain
and only a 20% chance for any during the day, so I got ready and rolled the
bike out. Went back in for my helmet and jacket and by the time I got back
out, it was raining.... nice

I looked at the sky and could see that the rain cloud was fairly small, so
I figured I would just blast out of it. Got a couple of miles down the road
and it still wasn't bad, so I decided to stop for gas. Pulled back out
after the fill up (3 gallons in - 150 miles travelled - 50 mpg) and was
just about to turn back out on US 1 when it opened up on me. Not your
normal heavy rain - but what we call a "toad choker" - rain so heavy that
it would choke a toad. I was now on US 1 with no place to pull off,
frantically trying to find the zippers on my jacket to close my vents...
decided to put both hands back on the bars and concentrate on the road.....
Couple more miles down the road and it was bright and sunny .... when Kenny
pulled in at the meeting point he was amazed to see me dripping... (the
vents on the Horizon jacket do a great job collecting water...)

Anyway, we headed to Cocoa Beach and had an awesome fish and chips lunch at
the Pig and Whistle Pub. I then took him on some of the local back roads
along the Atlantic and the intercoastal waterways before leaving him in
Melbourne, where he headed west and I back north.

All in all not a bad day....

- - Eric