Re: Assorted questions from a new ST owner

> A couple of items from the owner's manual:
>
> 1. Fuel requirement is 95 octane.  Premium grade in the States is usually
> 93 octane.  I haven't heard any pinging yet.   Are you guys burning 93
> octane with satisfactory results?

Pete,

	The short answer:  use 89 octane in the US.

	The long:

	I asked this question a while back, here were my results:

Eric wrote:

> The following is from the Triumph Sprint ST service manual and hopefully
> will clear things up:
>
> Fuel Requirements - all countries EXCEPT USA
>
> Outside America, all motorcycles are designed to be run on 95 RON
> unleaded fuel.
>
> Fuel Requirements - USA
>
> In the United States of America where the octane rating of fuel is
> measured in a different way, the following information may be applied:
> Triumph Motorcycles are designed to run on unleaded gasoline with a CLC
> or AKI octane rating (R+M)/2 of 89 or higher.

My opinion is to use super/premium.  Most gas stations have 87, 89 and 92+
grades of fuel.  I could use 89, but I figure that the highest grade of
gas has been in the tanks less time than the middle grade (due to
popularity) and is therefore cleaner (I understand that impurities from
the tank can mix with the gas). Also, I would assume gas is pumped from
the bottom of the tank (?) and that is where condensed water settles.
Therefore I figure super/premium is also less likely to have water when I
go to fillup. I don't know if this applies to gas station underground
tanks, but I know when an airplane wing tank is checked in the morning it
is more likely to have condensed water from the night before than it is in
the evening.

To much information? :)

David