Re: Fairing is melting...

Ok y'all,
I talked to the dealer and we did some comparisons between my bike, with melted right bellypan fairing, and their demo bike.  It seems that the support bracket is not bent on my bike, but that the insulation material might have slowly detached itself from the panel and contacted the exhaust, eventually burning through.  There do not appear to be spacers between the fairing piece and the brackets/mounting points.  Perhaps if others could check the gap between fairing and insulation by running fingers under the panel and see if this theory is correct?

The dealer kindly stripped the panel of their demo bike and gave it to me while they have one on order. In fact the bike runs much better withouth the bellypan in summer (takes much longer for the fan to come on in town, and almost no noticeable heat blast up through the fairing when it does), so it will remain off 'til Sept.

cheers
Jonathan

>>> "Marc A. Easley" <measley@xxxxxxxxxx> 24/07/99 19:04:02 >>>
Ya'll,
I was washing the Red Stallion today and noticed a dimble in the bottom
fairing on the right side. At first I thought is was made that way.
After the wash, I started it up and was wiping it dry......that dimple
area was HOT.....
Well....I now see that the fairing covers the pipe in that area and for
some reason...the heat off the pipe has MELTED the poor thing.
WHATEVER! Need to talk to my dealer next week.
Charla-TX Red STALLION