RE: Fairing is melting...

At 07:45 PM 07/25/1999 -0700, Retherford, Martin wrote:

 >Same melting going on with my ride.  Showed the dealer and he said it would
 >be a warranty replace.  Wonder if this is going to be a recurring prob.?

Is your heat shield worn through where the pipes come together ? - there is
a vertical weld that seems to be rubbing through the heat shield. Mine is
rubbed through, but I have no evidence of any melting or deformity.

 >My Baby is in the shop, right now for the 12,000 and a bit of an oil leak.
 >I think it is a side effect of the recall.  The guys in the shop all played
 >dumb as to exactly what is up.  Interesting story on how I discovered it
 >though!

Ok, I'll bite - what's the story ?

 >I asked the guys to record the gaps on the valves, and got a good ripping
 >for it.  We will see if I have to freak out on them for not doing as I have
 >asked.  Seems service may have a little attitude.

You got a ripping for asking them to record the values ? How are they doing
the job if they are not writing the numbers down ?

 >Anybody had any dealings with triumph care?  Specifically a tow?

Not I - have heard both good and bad. Have heard some that give it glowing
reviews, kind courteous etc with proper equipment. Other stories have
included long delays, rude drivers and no experience with putting a
motorcycle up.

I think it varies greatly from one area to another.

On the same note, I watched a tow truck driver in daytona start towing
bikes that were in a no parking area. The first one he picks on was a nice
new 1200 BMW. He takes out some slings and after much pondering, starts
wrapping them around parts of the fairing. I started to approach to warn
him of the errors of his ways only to be told that he would have me
arrested for interfering. Almost couldn't bear to watch as he started to
lift it - listening to the unmistakable sounds of breaking plastic ......
Was not a pretty sight.

- - Eric