Re: Crash Study (Was: Signals Always On)

At 10:46 AM 07/29/1999 -0400, Brian Wolfe wrote:
 >I guess it was only recently brought to my attention. Study I was
 >looking at was The Hurt Study from 1981.
 >
 >http://www.seanet.com/~nickolson/hurt_sum.htm
 >
 >Brian

Yeah, that's the one I'm familiar with as well. The problem is that for
current day evaluation of accidents, it is very dated. Remember that in
1981 a lot of bikes on the road were not running any lights at all during
the day (referenced in the notes by "reduce by the use of lights during the
day"). Even to this day, I sometimes will be on the old Sprint and realize
that I never turned my light on - you get spoiled by the auto on running
lights of today......

I think that a large percentage of the numbers and statistics would change
greatly if this was redone today.....

Maybe the government will give me some grant money to revisit it ......

- - Eric