RE: New subscribers

Thanks Eric for the welcome, and thanks to those who responded about my
question on heat from the ST. The information is much appreciated and will
help me decide about buying an ST.

I really loved the Daytona (I had a 4 hour test ride on it, and thought it
was the next best thing after sex...), I also had a very entertaining
experience during the ride - I was sitting at the lights, with my beloved as
pillion, when a guy on a souped up kwaka Z 750 pulled up and started revving
his engine and giving me the "let's race" come on. I thought "what the hey,
why not see what this baby can do" and when the lights turned green, gave it
the stick. However, since I had only just hopped on it and didn't know what
it was capable of yet, and also since I had a pillion on back, I decided to
take it easier than I would on my 1100. At the end of first gear, the guy
was half a bike in front of me, "Shit" I thought and popped it into 2nd and
gave it full throttle. The bike stood full up, roared through second on the
back wheel, I popped it into 3rd, through third, I looked at the speedo -
180 klicks, looked in the mirror, the guy was a dot, quick onto the brakes
since the next set of lights was coming up *quick*. The guy pulls up next to
me at the lights, flips his helmet and says "That was f'cking awesome", he
followed me for the next hour, sitting behind, in front, along side, just
looking and admiring the bike. I bet he went out and bought one next day.

I was ready to be a proud owner, however the heat from the engine was really
bad, and Australian summers can get extremely hot. I searched the net and
found a number of guys in California complaining about the heat saying they
had got blisters even through a set of leathers, I also came across a couple
of posts that said the Daytona had gearbox problems with teeth cracking off
on 4th gear (if I remember it correctly) after 10,000 Kms of hard riding.
Triumph were supposed to be working on it. I decided to wait. Then the ST
came out, and as I was really after a sports tourer anyway, it looked like
what I wanted. Just been waiting to find out whether the heat problem was as
bad as the Daytona.

Anyway, sorry about the length of this post. Thanks for the great site Eric.
Sites like yours and this email forum are what makes the web/net so
fantastically useful.

cheers, Grant.