Re: Top Rack Installation

At 07:34 PM 06/04/1999 -0700, Paul Steinbacher wrote:
>bike, removed the grab rail and looked some more; Hmmmm.....sure looks like
>this thing would just bolt on......tried just bolting on.......fits.....seat

yes, it will just bolt directly on in place of the grab rail.

>goes on! What is the purpose of all the added pieces, seems to fit just fine
>like it is? I also tried a "dry fit" of the rack to the furnished mounting
>plate and it seems all wrong to me. The plate is in a flat plane and the
>mounting base for the rack is the same as the grabrail, made to mount at two
>separate levels, looks like there are some missing shims if it is to mount
>correctly to the plate!!!!!! This is really starting to bug me!!!!!!!!!

The plate is correct. It mounts under the lock mechanism - the spacers for
the front are the stock spacers that are used with the grabrail.

The rest of the pieces are part function and part over engineering. If you
were using the rack without mounting a top box and it was only getting
occasional light duty use (like on my 96 Sprint), I would assume the extra
pieces would simply be overkill.

But if you are planning on mounting the top box, the potential for added
weight and stress is much greater Looking at the stock mounting plate,
repeated stress could cause a problem. The plates and adapters mount onto
the existing plate and tie into the frame in front of and behind the stock
plate, thus increasing the overall strength of the mounting points.

While it is a hassle to install, I would not risk the possible of problems
by not properly installing the system

- - Eric