RE: Stainless Cans

At 05:11 PM 6/16/99 -0700, Retherford, Martin wrote:
>Most SS is magnetic.  Only special grades that are tempered right will be
>non-magnetic.  For those trying to sneak a bladed onto the airlines.

Well, we disagree.  By far most stainless steel in use is 304, over 50%,
which has very low magnetic permeability (and is therefore virtually non-
magnetic) once annealed.  Go try a fridge magnet on your stainless steel
flatware.  Nada.

So, if your pipe is magnetic, it *must* be stainless, as aluminium will
not be magnetic in any case.  If it is not magnetic, however, you won't
be sure whether it's stainless or aluminium.  I'm betting neither is
magnetic, because the stainless can is most likely annealed 304.

As for sneaking anything onto the airlines, it is the *conductivity* that
the metal detectors (note: not simply iron detectors) actually detect.
My dad's artificial knees set them off every time he travels, and they
are non-magnetic and non-ferrous.  Stainless steel is very conductive,
though, so no sneaky with that.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx