Painfull Confession

I hate to admit this, but a couple days ago I was fixing the seat lock
on Lisa's bike and decided to move it onto the center stand.  Somehow I
let it get off balance to the opposite side and could not hold it back.
It fell in an agonizingly slow motion till I could not hold on any
longer and had to let it go.  Expletives flew past my lips at a furious
pace.

After picking it up, I saw the blemishes.  The pannier had some scrapes
on the black part of the cover and small scar in the paint.  The worst
blemish was on the lower fairing next to the vent window.  The weight of
the bike and the roughness of the concrete caused some pretty deep
blemishes.  More expletives forced their way out.  HOW EMBARRASSING!!

Then came the hard part, I had to tell Lisa.  Since it was my fault, I
offered to trade bikes and was surprised she wanted to stay on hers,
because that was her bike.  I believe were both surprised at her
response, including the tears that rushed to her eyes.  To keep her
happy with her bike, I offered to trade out the damaged parts.

Well, I called to get a quote on these parts just to see what kind of
$$$ we were talking to replace with new.  The lower fairing piece is
about $315.  The outer shell of the bag was an obsolete P/N, but the
dealer was told that if we ordered it, Triumph would still make it.  He
was not quoted a price however.  BTW, it just occurred to me that these
parts probably come unpainted.  Does anyone know for sure about this?

As another option, the parts guy says that blemishes like this can be
filled in, smoothed over, and painted.  He gave me a name and I may look
into this, but I am concerned that a repair job like this would be
noticeable.  Anyone have any experience with this and can offer some
advice.

Now the next hard part is over, confessing my sins to all.  The final
step in expunging my sins is to put her bike back in the shape it was in
when she left it last.

.. Richard White (with sack over head)
'99 Sprint ST (slightly blemished)
'99 Sprint ST (soon to wearing different panels)

End of st-digest V1999 #112