Re: Better Brakes (and Dragon GTS)

Yep, Eric. The right side, rear piston was sitting 2mm 'further in' that the front piston. I was careful not to apply the brake but the front piston could be easily moved with finger pressure.  The rear piston required some force to get it to retract properly.  Perhaps the 8000km touring in a wet spring/summer has taken its toll (my bike is also stored outdoors!), but it did not seem to be corrosion, and certainly not from leaving the bike unused for long periods!  I think this problem would be visible even without removing the calipers - just looking down from above at the caliper and pads should reveal if each pad is moving parallel to the disc.

My friend with a Trophy just paid out DM900 ($450) for new rear calipers which had siezed and corroded over winter, so keeping them clean is definitely cost effective.

cheers
Jonathan

At 03:41 PM 06/23/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
>While I was at it, and the brake calipers were off, it became obvious that
one of the four pistons had 'seized' - with a little effort it soon became
nice and

Jonathan,

When you say it was obvious, does that mean the piston was slightly engaged
(at a different level than the others) ?

- - Eric