RE: 5K miles on the tires, 20' on the bodywork...

I *can* say that it will likely be quite some time before I do that again.

> They may have done you a favor.  Slowed down to check that you were OK,
then
> left.  Had they stopped, they would have *had* to write up a report,
perhaps
> given you a ticket (too fast for conditions covers this one, the
'condition'
> being the oil), and your insurance would have gone up.  One thing I didn't
> want when I dropped mine was to have any LEOs show up.  I consider
insurance
> to be for major things, like theft or major damage, and I didn't make any
> claim on mine for the $775 I put into repairs.  I would have ended up
paying
> well over that to get back my 'six-year no-claims' discount.  Seeing that
you
> needed no assistance, what they did was give you the choice to file a
claim
> or not.

I thought about that, but I am still not entirely happy with their responce.
They should at least have determined that I was, in fact, OK before leaving
the scene. I was quite a ways away from the nearest phone *and* very close
to having an unrideable bike what with the clip-on damage and everything. If
my ankle had actually been sprained (a near thing - it hurts quite a bit as
it is) I could well have been there a long time waiting for someone to stop.

> Bad bit of luck on the fairing lower (belly pan), clip-on, and fork.  Mine
> didn't hit.  The rest sounds right.  Round number prices: $75 mirror, $75
rear
> brake lever, $45 front brake lever, $300 fairing, $200 nacelle.  Dunno the
> rest.  Also, don't forget to have them get the two brackets for the upper
side
> of the fairing, which collapse under the weight of the bike.  You can tell
> because the back of the top edge of the fairing should be against the
frame
> now.  You can remove the rear bracket, straighten it, and replace it for
now,
> while waiting for the body parts, so that the fairing doesn't rub on the
frame
> and damage the powder coating.  No need to take off the fairing to get
this
> one off, you can do it through the opening on the back side of the
fairing.

I looked at the faring closely for any bracket-related problems, but the gap
between the plastic and the frame on both sides is equal from front to back
and the panels look straight in all other respects. I think I got lucky
there. I am amazed at the cost of the rear brake lever (a single-piece cast
part with two machined surfaces) vs. the front brake lever (a polished
assembley that includes the adjuster). With the clip on, replacement bag
(the bracket got all twisted as it got pulled off of the bike) damaged
scilencer and damaged fork (likely a $300.00 item itself) I will be letting
my insurance company handle it. My deductable is fairly low *and* I have
enough recent speeding tickets that another point will not matter much WRT
my rates.

> Glad to hear you're OK!  That scrape on the arm will hurt like anything
for a
> couple of weeks.  Get a can of Lanacane analgesic (pain-killer) spray;
works
> wonders on road rash.

Thanks for the Lanacae idea. I'll do that.