Any ex VFR owners out there?

Dean, I had a VFR, and then a 1200 Bandit, and now a Sprint ST.

The VFR and Sprint are very similar, Overall though I think the Sprint is
the better bike.

The Sprint has more "Character", better mid-range, Better panniers (have you
ever seen a VFR with a set of GIVI's on? no nice), better brakes (the VFR's
combined brakes are not nice), Better looks.

The VFR has a better reputation for reliability, it's been around for a
while now, The build quality is slightly better, the handling is slightly
better, IT HAS ADJUSTABLE BRAKE AND CLUTCH LEVERS, (sorry but the lack of an
adjustable clutch lever on the ST Pi**es me off) and costs less.

A good friend of mine had a ST on order, and then 3 days before he was due
to collect it, his 595's gearbox went. (this was the 38th!!!! time in 14
months that his 595 had been back to the dealers with a problem)

Anyway, after shouting "Bloody Triumphs" and getting his 595 back to the
dealer, the dealer gave him a Sprint ST bike on loan until his ST was ready,
This Sprint had 5000 miles on the clock, and was an ex-demo bike, and it was
the worst bike he had ever ridden (my self included). It was a complete bag
of SH&T. That was enough for him. he telephoned the shop and cancelled his
order. He was worried about the reliability of the ST, especially after
having to return his 595 38 times. So he's bought a VFR800i, and he loves
it!.

He still says that the VFR is not as good as the ST, but he's was badly
bitten by the reliably factor of Triumphs and wanted a bike he could rely
on.

To be fair to Triumph, most of the problems were because of his dealer not
doing things correctly, like forgetting to tighten up the fuel pump, and
incorrectly setting the valves.  My friend know Triumph's very well (his son
was a Triumph test rider for 3 years) but because of the problems he had
with his 595 he went the VFR route.

Sorry this is a long post, at the end of the day...The ST is a better bike,
but because it's a first year edition, there are / will be problems, on the
other hand the VFR's been around for quite some time now (Stale?), and most
of it's problems are known about and have been sorted.

The VFR's a great bike, but lacks the ST's character, and engine. You pays
your money....

I know I made the right choice. I'm still amazed with my ST and I used to be
a BIG VFR fan, not anymore.

Rig.

www.rigsville.demon.co.uk