Re: Brakes

Lisa wrote:
> Well, we got out and took a nice Sunday spin today.  Before we left,
> Richard wanted to bleed my brakes, as he had to "break" the line when he
> installed my hugger.  He had to do the same thing to his bike.
>
> Difference:  The movement in the rear brake lever on his ST stayed
> around 1" from "resting" to fully compressed.  I now have around 2" of
> mushy movement from "resting" to fully compressed.  Talk about losing
> confidence in the rear brake!!  We bled her some more with no air
> showing in the fluid, and while she tightened up a bit, it was still
> pretty bad!  Any suggestions?  Should I just take her to the shop and
> let them them deal with it?  I could still ride her because as bad as it
> felt, it was still no worse than my Bandit was.  I was just a bit more
> careful because I knew my brakes were not as sharp as usual.  Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I broke my hugger when I installed it instead of the brake line. The rivets
came out while I was trying to install it in the dealers parking lot, Dee
has carried many items home on the back of motorcycles, from 30 gallon
garbace cans to bread makers and decided I should install instead of her
carrying; Anyway, I used aluminum rivets to put it together after it was
installed.

If you saw my previous post about the risers; I think the best way to bleed
is using a tool folks have told me is called a mighty vac. I could not
locate one locally on a Saturday afternoon. I would think if it only had an
inch of movement prior to the 'break' you should be able to get back to that
point, must be some air trapped somewhere.

On a different note, at only 5,400 miles my rear brake pads were finished,
dealer changed them when I took it for the 6,000 at 5,400 checkup. I can use
the rear pretty hard since we ride 2up mostly, but it sure seemed pretty
quick. I would recommend everyone check theirs on a semi-regular basis.

Paul Steinbacher