Re: st-digest V1999 #120

<< Ducs are not everyday
 motorcycles, they are not practical, they are expensive to buy and difficult
 to maintain.  My mechanic estimates his average customer spends about
 $700-$800 per year on maintenance.  This includes tune ups, valve
 adjustments, clutch adjustments etc.  I would not consider buying a Duc
 unless you had access to good service. >>

I have to at least partially disagree with this statement. Having owned a
couple late model Ducati's I find them every bit as practical as most other
bikes on the road. The ST2 and ST4 are just as comfortable as the Triumph ST.
The biggest maintenance expenses are valve adjustments and timing belts. The
belts MUST be done every 12k miles but it has been my experience that you can
skip at least half of the valve adjustments since at 20k miles on my last two
Duc's niether one ever needed a shim changed and in a combined 40k miles. The
only part that ever actually failed was an oil pressure switch. I had a 97
Buell S3T that, in a year and a half and 20k miles, left me sit 3 times. All
vibration related problems, I really liked the bike but since my wife rides
with me a lot I can't put up with that kind of unreliability. So I brought
the ST as a replacement. It's a great bike. It does everything well, but it
seems very generic and it's not as much fun as the Buell was. So when the
warranty runs out it will probably have about 25 or 30k miles and it will get
traded. On what, I don't know but I do know I'll always have my Ducati.
There's nothing like it.

Cheers,
Warren