Re: Any ex VFR owners out there?

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Mark Ridler wrote:

> Anyway, after shouting "Bloody Triumphs" and getting his 595 back to the
> dealer, the dealer gave him a Sprint ST bike on loan until his ST was ready,
> This Sprint had 5000 miles on the clock, and was an ex-demo bike, and it was
> the worst bike he had ever ridden (my self included). It was a complete bag
> of SH&T. That was enough for him. he telephoned the shop and cancelled his
> order. He was worried about the reliability of the ST, especially after
> having to return his 595 38 times. So he's bought a VFR800i, and he loves
> it!.

I had a VFR800i prior to the ST.  My exit from that bike was not a good
look (70kmh encounter with a guard rail).  At the time I was reading about
the ST thinking it would be a great "next bike" after another year or so
on the veefer.  The midrange and torque of the ST had me very interested.

I test rode one at a local dealer after tossing the Honda (and my
girlfriend) off the road and was soooo disappointed. That particular
machine was a bucket of bolts.  It had obviously been trashed from the
first turn.  I was back to thinking about getting another veefer when
I decided to try an ST test at another deeler.  Wow!  The rest, as they
say, is history.

The VFR is a great machine, but if you like to ride a little further down
the rev range then the ST leaves it for dead.  The "linked brakes" didn't
bother me much but I'm happier with "normal" stoppers.  As for looks,
those curves on the ST are so much nicer that the harder angles of the
current VFR.

BTW, it handles better, is happier two-up, and IMHO is an all-round better
machine.

Bambi