RE: add-ons and accessories

There's one thing that's really bugging me - I'm dying to know
why, whenever you all buy stuff from your Triumph dealer,
presumably for a new Sprint, you have to put the stuff on
yourselves?
I didn't have to insist that Jack Lilley, my dealer, put the
stuff on - they volunteered: OK, I paid for most of it,
obviously (though not the tankpad and hugger, which they "threw
in" when I bought the bike new) but they fitted it all free of
charge - isn't that normal in the States?

I mean, hey, if they don't give you good service and treat you
right, you just go down the road to the next dealer, and that
other dealer then gets all the revenue from the services, the
add-ons, the clothing, the bits and bobs we all buy (chain lube,
locks etc.) - so surely it's in their interest to spoil you a
bit? If I buy panniers worth about £500 for a set of two, I
don't think it's asking much to ask them to put them on and
lower the exhaust pipe - do you? I haven't got the time,
patience or tools to do it myself - not to mention the technical
expertise, judging from all the queries on this board.
Maybe you need to get aggressive with your dealers and tell them
what service we get over here in the UK!!!

Tim

Hi Tim. My name is Dennis Tackett and I live in Dallas, Texas. It's always
interesting to hear how they do things over the pond. I agree with your take
on free service but over here it depends on your dealer. I have a friend
that owns the dealership I frequent so I get most of my labor done for beer
but I usually have to wait until after hours to get it done. A lot of the
dealers in the US seem to take a sell it and forget it attitude. I don't
know if developed due the automotive industry or what. If you buy a new
$1500 injection system for your car will the dealer put it on for free? Of
course not. At least not here. My dealership does give free labor away
depending on the customer. I asked about this and found out the average
relationship between the motorcycle customer and the dealer is 14 months.
This may be because the dealers don't work on customer relationships or
because there is low brand loyalty. I have gone to the same person for 15
years but I'm sure that is rare. I'd be curious how other Triumph dealers in
the US handle this.