RE: 5K miles on the tires, 20' on the bodywork...

The apraiser and the mechanics that have looked at mine say the whole bag
needs replaced. The lid is all scratched up *and* the metal finger that the
clamp works against was pulled straight when the bag was ripped off of the
bike. The bag mounts are fine, though, and the frame it mounts on is intact.

> We are replacing pieces a bit at a time.  We ordered the fairing piece
> this week and got a new mirror.  We'll order the lid next month.  I
> figure the little garage drop will end up costing us around $600, and we
> have a $500 deductible, so it isn't even worth trying to mess with the
> insurance.

Mine is $250.00 and the damage estamate is around 1700.00 for parts alone.

> I know you don't feel lucky, but you were!  My husband has a friend from
> work who was riding a Beemer (R1100S?) belonging to a friend of his.  He
> was riding out west of Houston, went around a curve at about 60 mph, and
> all of a sudden he was on the ground with the bike spinning away from
> him.  Luckily he was in full leathers and was only a bit sore.  He went
> back to look in the road, and evidently, someone had dropped an oil
> "bucket" and the oil had completely coated one lane so you couldn't
> "see" it.  He was able to ride the Beemer back into town, but the
> insurance company totaled it.

Oof. I hope this is my last fall for a while. Certanly it will be the last
time I am *not* wearing long sleeves when on the bike.

> Let us know how things progress!

I will. If anyone is interested, I will post the prices for the various
parts when I get the estamate.