Re: add-ons and accessories

Over here, unlike in the UK (to my knowledge) all the mechanics are certified from technical college, before even doing specific training on each bike. The workshop guys are very friendly and pay amazing attention to detail - they take great pride in their work and are paid accordingly.  They have certainly done a much better job than I could.  The dealer gives me 10% off for all accessories, and similar for services (I didn't ask - he offered) as I have passed him 3 sales of new bikes through recommendations to friends, and much other business in spares and servicing of these friends.  Our bike club (the euro space agency unofficial one) is quite large with 45 members so we can negotiate good deals at many shops, but there is never any question of paying for fitting when I buy accessories.

When I had a Sprint I took it back to London for a service - cost nearly twice what it does in Germany with truely appalling service (this was NOT at Jack Lilley of course).  The review in a recent issue of RiDE magazine of UK main dealers servicing ability makes for sober reading - most scored 7-12 our of total of 21 problems on a VFR that could have been spotted by your average bike owner!  I think the UK has a long way to go before it matches the general standard on the continent; I cannot speak for the US.  Friends in Austria and Switzerland have been similarly impressed by their dealers.

ciao
Jonathan

>>> "Leatherbiker" <leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx> 29/06/99 18:28:52 >>>
Troy and Dennis,

I do hear what you're saying - especially when there is a lack
of trust in the dealer or tyros used to do the less skilled
stuff.
In my case, it's the exact reverse. I trust them to do stuff far
more than myself - as I don't have a garage, a decent place to
work on the bike or even the right tools for anything more than
very basic stuff, living in a suburban London flat!
I'm not looking for an excuse to buy more tools when I have no
place to put them, obviously.

I would certainly expect the quality of whatever they do to be
up to scratch, whether it's paid, free or part of a trade-in
etc.
And so far it certainly has been.
They put my front screen on (the slightly taller one) as well -
forgot that.

<snip>
Be interesting to see what other contributors think

Tim