Pipes

Just a quick note after reading the comments made on aftermarket pipes, the
after market pipe available for the Sprint come in 2 finishes, Carbon wrap
with no badge and a polished stainless wrap (As standard finish) with a
badge. The main visual difference is that the pipe is around 100mm (4")
shorter.
As for performance the pipe was designed to give a fruitier sound without
being too much noise for long runs, it is freer flowing and at the crank the
performance increase was to around 114-116 BHP (108 std) at the crank.
Just to clarify, some people have the impression that fuel injection is a
cure all for any pipe combo, IT ISN'T!, EFI tunes have to be mapped and
designed to suit the engine design and the header/silencer design and flow.
Odd as it may seem EFI compensates less than carbs do when you change a pipe
as it is mapped to exact points, if all the ingredients are correct (As
designed) it works much better than carbs, if not (Aftermarket can with a
different flow rate or dimensions) then it may not work as well (Flat spots
etc.). Hence a higher flowing can with the wrong tune can perform worse that
a more restricted can.

Point in case look at the Speed Triple and Sprint, essentially the same
engine spec, same headers but with different silencers, they flow very
similar and have the same noise emissions but as they different designs,
require 2 different tunes, believe me we would not invest the time (Around 6
months) and the investment to develop the 2 tunes if they were not needed.

As you can guess, yes I do work for the Triumph factory. I plan to stay on
the list and comment whenever, I will not use it as a soap box to put
Triumphs point across or ramble on about how you must buy our products!. The
comments above are based around the truth on out EFI, not buy our pipes or
else.
I also don't want to be the point in contact for an enquiry why a bolt has
not been delivered or why your service hasn't been done on time. That's what
dealers are for.

Well that's enough of me ranting on, I think that all your comments will
help us refine our bikes for the future.

Ross