Re: Pipes

Ross,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your comments on the pipe and EFI. It is
great knowing that our comments on the bikes will be heard by Triumph and
possibly our criticisms or ideas might be used to further refine what is
already a run-away hit. I think our biggest desire right now is *build them
faster*! ;-)

I would like to second your request to the listers that your email not
become a direct pipe for every complaint or question on every problem that
happens to occur. I know that Triumph representatives subscribe to a number
of Triumph lists, but very few ever make any posts for fear that their
email might be abused. If we are having a common problem (like the fuel
gauges), rest assured that Ross will be able to see the pattern.

So to all the ST Listers out there, if you have a question for Mr Clifford,
please post it to the list and I'm sure he will answer if it is something
he can comment on. If you are having a problem, your first contact should
be your dealer and then your area Triumph Rep and then (for U.S. listers)
US headquarters in Peachtree City (Atlanta).

Currently the list subscribers are pretty evenly split between owners and
non-owners of ST's. Of the non-owners, a large percentage are persons
seriously considering the ST as a future purchase. Largest subscriber base
is the U.S. followed *very* closely by Australia, then the UK, and then
Europe and Canada.

Again Ross, Thanks for posting

- - Eric

At 08:34 AM 03/11/1999 +0000, Ross wrote:
>Just a quick note after reading the comments made on aftermarket pipes, the
>after market pipe available for the Sprint come in 2 finishes, Carbon wrap
>with no badge and a polished stainless wrap (As standard finish) with a
>badge. The main visual difference is that the pipe is around 100mm (4")
>shorter.
>As for performance the pipe was designed to give a fruitier sound without
>being too much noise for long runs, it is freer flowing and at the crank the
>performance increase was to around 114-116 BHP (108 std) at the crank.

>Just to clarify, some people have the impression that fuel injection is a
>cure all for any pipe combo, IT ISN'T!, EFI tunes have to be mapped and
>designed to suit the engine design and the header/silencer design and flow.
>Odd as it may seem EFI compensates less than carbs do when you change a pipe
>as it is mapped to exact points, if all the ingredients are correct (As
>designed) it works much better than carbs, if not (Aftermarket can with a
>different flow rate or dimensions) then it may not work as well (Flat spots
>etc.). Hence a higher flowing can with the wrong tune can perform worse that
>a more restricted can.
>
>Point in case look at the Speed Triple and Sprint, essentially the same
>engine spec, same headers but with different silencers, they flow very
>similar and have the same noise emissions but as they different designs,
>require 2 different tunes, believe me we would not invest the time (Around 6
>months) and the investment to develop the 2 tunes if they were not needed.
>
>As you can guess, yes I do work for the Triumph factory. I plan to stay on
>the list and comment whenever, I will not use it as a soap box to put
>Triumphs point across or ramble on about how you must buy our products!. The
>comments above are based around the truth on out EFI, not buy our pipes or
>else.
>I also don't want to be the point in contact for an enquiry why a bolt has
>not been delivered or why your service hasn't been done on time. That's what
>dealers are for.
>
>Well that's enough of me ranting on, I think that all your comments will
>help us refine our bikes for the future.