Re: Turbo ST test ride

Martin, here are the responses from Brian Olson - I sent him your questions
verbatim (added numbers to make sure he answered them all). If you have any
other questions, let me know. Hope this helps -

Now if I could only win the lottery ......

>	Can find out the process for setup.  I was reading something and if
>I remember correctly someone setup a 595 with a turbo and an extra set of
>fuel injection with no other work and it runs.
>	This goes against every concept of what a turbo is in my experience.

The only addition to the fuel injection is our supplemental boost computer.
Which is run in conjunction with the stock Triumph computer.

1 ->Small displacement motors generally require some engine disassembly,
>combustion chamber reshape/compression reduction (especially 11.2 : 1
>ratio), and special lump stick. These are the absolute minimums to run a
>turbo.

1<-By using a intercooler and keeping the boost levels below 8 psi in our kit
we are able to leave the motor stock.

2 ->It may also require new rods / crank possibly specialty pistons and
>if your really going for it porting of the head.

2<-The Triumph motors are built plenty strong enough for these boost levels.

3 ->	What boost is this thing running at?

3<-6 psi on low 8 psi on high

4 ->	Without a compression reduction it should be guzzling 92 octane or
>running on aircraft fuel 120 octane + or maybe alcohol.  On normal water
>cooled motors as a general rule 9-15 lbs. boost is about all you can get out
>without pinging/detonation problems.  Its no more than 9 lbs. boost for air
>cooled motors without special fuel.

4<-92 is definitely recommended and higher octane is recommended if prolonged
high boost wide open throttle blasts are done.

5->	It is possible to run a turbo with 11.2:1 ratio if you retard the
>timing way back.  But I don't know if the ST can be manipulated like that.

5<-The timing for the these motors has not proved to be too excessive.

>Martin Retherford >>

Brian Olson
Turbo Connection