Re: Introducing me

> I would say the biggest common complaint is the inaccuracies in the
> fuel gauge - it tends to read full to about half a tank and then
> drops rather quickly.

    All of the three bikes I've had with fuel gauges (all Kawasakis)
have done something like this.  If I remember correctly, the Kawasaki
sender is a float attached by an arm to a potentiometer.  If the
potentiometer is wound uniformly but the cross sectional area of the
fuel tank is not uniform throughout its height, the gauge will act in
this way.  In other words, this is what I would expect from a bike
fuel gauge.

> When filling up it seems to take a number of miles (20 or so) before
> the fuel gauge will again read full and the warning light will go
> out.

    This, on the other hand, is weird!  The demo bike I rode went from
indicating half full to entering the red zone in about fifty miles,
and the warning light came on.  After putting in about five litres of
petrol the light went out immediately and the fuel gauge returned to
half full pretty smartly.

                Jim
- --
Jim.Gillespie@     ,'_            One bloke wrote off an SPS because his
   USA.net        / -.--.    ___  racing slacks weren't warm enough
+44 171 721 2672 _\_x \__`--'_,-'
'94 BYO         \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Graham Arnold