Speedometer error

Ok, after seeing Eric's post on his speedometer test I had to go and do a
quick run with my  radar gun.  I was on a road that had a lot of traffic and
was short on time, but I still plan to go out to my favorite road during
working hours, when no traffic is around.  Now as we all know, we can cruise
all day with the speedometer pegged on 60 or 70 and never deviate a mph from
that. But, as I found out yesterday, when you are trying to keep the speed
set, it is hard to do.  I was watching the toad, traffic and trying to hold
a constant speed, but the speed wandered around.  I was also going into the
setting sun with a little glare on my face shield and speedometer.  Ok,
enough of the disclaimers and excuses.  Basically my bike is "about" the
same as Eric's.  My front tire pressure was set at 37psi (the speedo does
drive off of the front doesn't it?).  The speedometer reading/radar gun
readings were:  50/45, 70/65, 80/74, 90/83, 100/93.  More work to follow,
but I think we can be comfortable that Eric's numbers are representative of
the fleet.  I don't think it can be considered a defect as all speedometers
have some error.  If we know what it is we can easily deal with it and feel
a little more comfortable when that cop passes us in the other direction
when the speedo is showing 75 or 80.  BTW, I checked my car's speedo ('99
BMW 323) and it was about 2-3 mph higher than actual according to the gps.
  I also rode a 595 Daytona yesterday and the single pass gave me the same
difference at 80mph indicated.  The 595 had a 17 tooth front sprocket and
high carbon pipe.  It had more punch than the Sprint.  The front wheel got
much lighter under full throttle acceleration in the first two gears.  The
Sprint was more linear.  I like the carbon pipe on my Sprint as it was
significantly different sounding than the Daytona; much nicer sound IMO.
 Jack Lilley said he would post a photo of the taller tinted windscreen to
the list as soon as he got one in.
 James Lock