RE: 99 Triumph Sprint ST..Need help..

> I haven't purchased a new bike in over 20 years
> and the dealer/manufacturer suggest following the
> break-in recommendations... If I listen to my friends
> that tell me that "NEW" engines are bullet proof, I
> should drive it from "day one" like I normally would drive
> it, I'm not so sure this is the way to break in the ST
> and am torturing myself now by not going over 5krpm.
> Any input would be appreciated....

New engines are not bullet proof and you should not treat them as if they
are.  The trick to breaking them in is varying the RPM and changing the oil
frequently.  Try to avoid constant RPMs for long distances.  DO NOT LUG THE
BIKE!  This is the most damaging form of riding.  Also, be very careful
(this applies to new tires as well) with wet roads and far leans.  Most new
tires have been treated with a silicon lubricant in order to remove them
from their mold.  It takes a couple hundred miles before it is sufficiently
diminished.  Many new tire/ new bike riders have busted their rear getting
on the throttle after coming out of a curve.

Personally, I use a break in schedule as follows (the percentages aren't do
or die, but rather guidelines):

1.  Retighten all the bolts with Lock-Tite
    Check all the fluids
    Make sure all visible parts are at spec
    Pay special attention to the tires and the pressure
2.  0-100 miles: 60% of redline.
3.  Change oil,
    Put a magnetic drain plug in if necessary
    Check for significant metal flakes/chips
    Check all the fluids.
4.  101-500 miles: 75% of redline.
5.  Change oil
    Check oil for signs of gas or thinning
    Check drain plug for significant metal flakes/chips
    Check all the fluids
    Check the valves record distance from spec
6.  500-1000 miles: 90% of redline.
7.  Change oil
    Check oil for signs of gas or thinning
    Check drain plug for significant metal flakes/chips
    Check all the fluids
    Make sure all visible parts are at spec
    Check the valves record distance from spec
8.  1001-2001 miles: redline.
9.  Change oil
    Check oil for signs of gas or thinning
    Check drain plug for significant metal flakes/chips
    Check the valves if they moved from the 500-1000 mile check
10. Ride the bike normally and begin regular maintenance

This assumes the schedule does not conflict with the break in schedule of
the bike.  Always, use the schedule of the manufacturer if it conflicts with
the above schedule.  Also, this may not apply to fuel injected Triples.
However it is a safe, sure, and tested break in method for several other
bikes (24 and counting).  This may seem anal, but after dropping 10k + on a
bike the least we can do is spend a couple hundred bucks and a couple of
hours making sure the next 100k miles are problem free.

IMHO, C.

End of st-digest V1999 #18