Re: Chain

At 02:37 PM 03/28/1999 -0600, Charles wrote:
>My dealer and at least two other guys told me that all 	I need to do the
>chain is clean it with WD40. The manual says use Mobile something or
>other. I havn't had a bike in a while and they say the chains are
>different now. Could anyone give me any tips on chain maintenance??

I use a product called chain lube - has a paraffin base that keeps the
lubricant on the chain instead of all over the chain guard and surround
areas. I lube every few hundred miles and after every ride in the rain. I
usually use a grunge chain brush with WD40 to clean off the sand and goop
and then re apply the chain lube. I have heard of people only using WD40
and know at least one chain recommends that as the lube of choice - if I
did that, the only change I would make would be to lube more frequently

>Also, should I follow the book for suspension adjustment just for an
>"occaisional" passenger?

What I would do is set it up for you and then if you have time, mark off
the setting for the extra passenger. That way you are not compromising your
ride comfort and handling characteristics by having a setting that is
somewhere in the middle.

- - Eric