Octane

In a message dated 3/29/99 9:57:42 AM Pacific Standard Time, owner-st-
digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> For riders in the United States:  What type of octane rating are you
>  using?  The owner's manual implied I would need to use Super Unleaded, but
>  I wasn't familiar with the unit of measurment that was used for the
>  suggested octane rating.

In most of the USA we have 3 grades.  91 to 92 octane normally the highest and
87 typically the lowest.  Engines with center located sparkers and 4 valve
heads are very insensitive to octane requirements.  Being in the refining
business I'd say any rating puchased in the civilized world would probably not
cause a ping problem.  But if you wanted to be cautious or throw away money go
with the upper 2 grades.

Ken T. from Ca.

If Harleys are supposed to be so damn good looking, why do thier owners spend
so much time and money changing it!?

84' V65 Sabre, "Kong-Gone" but not forgotten
95' Triumph Trident, "Trooper"
96' Virago 1100, "Mellow If Slow"
Still waiting for red 99' Sprint ST

COP#0018, AMA#414926, RAT#021975