RE: Sprint ST - Tale of Woe

I was swayed also and sold my 95 Sprint for the new ST. I didn't have a very
good initial feeling either. Mine kept dying at stop lights when it had been
ridden for a while. This turned out to be a bad check valve in the tank
vent. Then the bolt recall, then the center stand then the bag delivery
problem. I kept the faith however as my 95 racked up 29k miles and
introduced me to the wonderful world of riding instead of fixing my bike all
the time. I had a 73 Bonneville for 10 years before that. I have been paid
back tenfold for sticking with the bike. All the problems have been solved
and it is by far the best bike I have ridden. I also take great pleasure in
tromping Ducs and VFRs every weekend. I have chalked it up to this being a
new model on a new platform. It was bound to have some glitches. My dealer
has been great. He even gave me a Daytona to ride for the weekend when he
couldn't get to my bike on a busy Saturday. Stick to it and you will not be
disappointed.

As a Triumph owner for some years now (Trophy 3) I decided it was time to
move on having been swayed by the magazine reviews of the new ST.

A gleaming red Sprint ST was ordered around a month and a half ago - then
things started to go wrong...

Bolt Recall - two days before I was due to pick it up meaning it was going
to be a week late.  Still, the following weekend the sun was shining and I
rode down to collect the new beastie which looked as good as I remembered.

Seven miles later it was less good as all the electrics died and left me
stranded on the side of the road as I rode it home.  It turns out the
alternator had gone AWOL and the battery wasn't charging.

Two weeks later I am due to finally pick up the bike when I the dealer
discovers that it keeps blowing a fuse in the charging circuit.  Apparently,
after they spoke with experts at Hinckley, they were informed that on quite
a few of the new ST's the wrong fusebox had be put in and this needed
replacing.  New one on the way from Triumph.

Am I just unlucky or are there major electrical gremlins with the ST?

The way things are going I am soon going to consider buying Japanese ....

Graham Ward

Sprint ST (one day)
Trpohy 3 (still there)