Re: Triumph Extended Screen

Robert, Steve and others wrote:
>How do you like the tinted screen?

First, let me say, once again I amazed by the service shown to me by
Lilley's (Shepperton - UK). I ordered the tinted screen from Steve as they
are not available here in the U.S. - in less than one week, it was here on
my doorstep - if anyone is needing the tinted version, please contact Steve
Lilley <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and I'm sure that you will receive the
same courteous and efficient service.

Steve had told me that the tint was light - and he was right. Still, there
is enough tint that when compared to the stock screen, it is easy to see
the difference.

I pulled the stock screen and shot a couple of pics with one inside the
other. If you have not checked them out, make sure to go to the accessory
page and check out the differences. I initially thought that it was too
big, but once I had it installed, I didn't find it to be. From the front,
it gives the bike a taller look and from behind, it really opens up the
cockpit area.

So, now that it was installed, had to give it a try. My initial impression
was that it was noisier than the stock screen, but then remembered that I
didn't have my earplugs in - doh! Anyway, I still think that it is a little
louder, but not to the point of being annoying. The next thing I noticed
was the bugs - or more specifically the lack of them on my face shield. The
stock screen does a good job of redirecting the flying objects directly to
the helmet area - the extended screen either catches them dead on or sends
them up and over.

Once I got moving, I found it amazing how much wind it kept off me. The
stock screen sent a lot of air into my Triumph Explorer jacket and I found
it billowing like a large sack in the wind on more than one occasion. With
the taller screen, I could undo the top of the jacket and still not have it
fill up. The amazing thing was the handling properties at higher speeds. I
ran 130 (actual sigma speed) for a little while and was not laid out over
the tank - was strange to be in a more upright position watching the orange
groves go flying by.......

I think this screen will really shine in inclement weather (rain, sleet,
hail etc), during the colder months and on longer runs where it will reduce
rider fatigue. For short distance or Sunday only riding, it is probably not
a worthwhile investment, but for the commuter rider or touring rider, it
will be a welcome addition.

As I add more miles, I will update my impressions.

If I have missed anything that you want covered, please let me know.

- - Eric