Re: Sprint ST vs. T595 (plus assorted VFR's) - a direct comparison...

Ken, thanks for an excellent write up.

Just had a few comments/questions.... after swapping goes on my ST for my mates '97 VFR:  we both noticed that the bikes steer *completely* differently. The VFR bars are narrow and effectively 'locked solid' at anything above 10mph - it is not actually possible to manoeuvre the bike without shifting bodyweight - try countersteering and it becomes VERY hard work indeed.  Not to say that this is bad, just very different from the geometry on the ST (I have not tried a VFR 800 for comparison, so cannot comment, but many other Honda's are similar including VTR and Africa Twin to some extent).  The ST has perhaps more vertical fork tubes, such that the steering is very light at both low and high speeds.  It seemed much easier to steer by countersteering (or bar steering at low speeds), and much harder to turn by shifting weight that on either my old 509 or the VFR (higher centre of gravity?).

Other than that there are a few points on the ST sports pipe (Triumph aluminium), after its first 3000km;  a) it gets quite a bit louder, but is still perfectly acceptable around town - and much quieter than the 509/595 low pipe  b) the finish seems very good - still shines after being caked in mud (sleet!) and lots of cow shit. I am very pleased with it, and feel no need to look further afield for a pipe (tried 6 with the T509 all were inferior to this in either finish, sound or build quality).

cheers
Jonathan
ps. noone knows the two Brits I met in Alba then?

>>> Ken Haylock <kwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 18/05/99 04:49:00 >>>
With my '98 T595 now being almost exactly 12 months old, with 12,000 miles
under it's wheels, any attempt to replace it is going to cost me big heap
wonga in depreciation. And yet, despite all the factors that attracted me
to the T595 in the first place still applying in spades, I've found myself
drawn to the idea of chopping it in for a new Sprint ST. Why? Well, part
of the reason is that 12,000 mile total - well below the 18-20,000 miles
that I racked up in successive years on my two previous VFR's (an '86, and
a '92). There were days in this last winter when I actively avoided
non-essential journeys, simply because I didn't want to go by bike! The
T595 is not, by any measure, a winter bike. Although as ultra-sports tools
go it's a very versatile machine, it just can't cut it after 5 hours in
the saddle, laden down with half a ton of luggage, at 3am on the M6 in a
December hailstorm. I can also say with bitterness that hard luggage
messes up the weight distribution, and buggers up the handling of the
T5 to some extent...
<<snip>>

Ken Haylock - T595 + CD200 Rat - MAG #93160

                     * kwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *