From: Hoppler, Harl [mailto:Harl.Hoppler@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 1:41 PM
To: 'Sprint List'
Subject: Troubling thoughts

I was discussing the current crankcase bolt situation with a friend who
has considerable experience with building motorcycle motors. His
immediate reaction was "if the bolts were loose in your motor, get
your money back." His thinking was that the bearings and case
mating surfaces would all have moved around, potentially damaging
them, the crank, and anything that requires the close tolerances
in that part of the motor. Removing and replacing the bolts, with
even a slight misalignment to the case could have a very negative
impact on the longevity of the motor. And what about transmission
shafts and the like?

Any comments from experienced motor builders?

Should anyone owning a bike under recall just run the bejesus out
of it and hope it craters during warranty?