Re: RE: Troubling thoughts - valve clearances (not)

Maybe the bolts are fine (maybe not?), but does anyone have concrete evidence that the valve clearances closing up at 5000 miles+ (at least on T509/T595) has been resolved?Is there evidence from the T5 list that this is no longer a problem on 1998-99 T955i's?

My T509 engine was basically wrecked at 10,000km with 8 of 12 valves burned and compression loss on 2 cylinders.  I dont really want to 'just take a chance' on that for the Sprint ST, so I intend to have the valve clearances checked shortly and send the bill to Triumph (my dealer has agreed to this) if so much as one is out of spec, as a warranty claim (plus of course the bill for fixing the valve!).

I would suggest that other ST owners also consider doing this; if we dont have evidence to that the problem is now solved then waiting to the 20,000km service (12000 mi) to check valve clearances might be an expensive gamble - especially if that is beyond the 2 year warranty period.

Why should we be expected to take this risk!?
Just my 0.02Pf worth.

cheers
Jonathan

>>> Dennis Tackett <dennis.tacket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 21/05/99 00:16:33 >>>
Guys,
I called 2 people here in Dallas about this. One has over 40 years expeience
building old Triumph motors for speed records at Bonneville. He also is
helping build the new motor that will set the new record this August with a
projected speed of 236. The other has 20+ years experience with all marques.
Here is their take on this:

1. The journals are not pinned in the new motors but this is not a problem
as there are 8 other bolts besides the ones replaced in the recall that hold
this section of the motor together.

2. The new Triumph motors are absolutely bulletproof to the point of almost
being paranoid about it. When John Bloor decided to go back into business
the last thing he wanted was reliability questions.

3. The first new Triumph to be raced at Daytona had 45 pounds of material
shaved out of the cases and various areas of the motor. This was done in
addition to removing the balance shaft. They never had a problem and won Pro
Thunder at Daytona. They ran that same motor all season with no problems.

4. A messenger in England put over 100,000 miles on one of the first
generation bikes. Triumph heard about it and bought the bike back from him.
When they tore it down they found that the engine tolerances would have
still passed factory specs.

5. I personally talked to a guy that had his Trophy serviced in Denver and
then rode home to Dallas. He noticed funny noises and a reduction in
performance about 50 miles from home and limped in. They forgot to put oil
back in the motor when they changed it in Denver. Of course it was trashed
but it went over 600 miles on a teacup of oil before it started to seize.

Bottom line guys is don't sweat it.
<snip>