Of Fuel Gauges and Oils

<Subject: Gas Gauge

<Hi,

<I know we haven't talked about gas gauges for a while.  I just
<wanted to re-cap what we know (mine was working fine the first 500 <miles,
<and has since been acting up on the last two fill-ups).

(That is exactly what mine did!!)

<- - No one has had their broken gauges fixed yet.  Broken is defined <as
<going from full to empty with the light coming on to somewhere in <between
<over about 15 miles, or other extreme inaccuracies.

I believe a few people on the list had their gauges replaced.  My gauge
replacement is scheduled for June 7th.  I had a new sending unit installed a
while back and that made no difference.

<<Subject: Oils

<From: "Lance LaCerte, Psy.D." <LACPSYD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<Really appreciate your input and have been thinking about the Mobil <1
<synthetic automotive instead of the "super duper Triumph Mobil 1" <(<what a
<marketing rip off!!!!).     Have you been running the Mobil 1 <automotive?
<Is there anything to worry about in terms of this oil holding up since <its
<lubricating the transmission and the engine (this is the standard, and
<reasonable, reason why all of the motorcycle shops
<tell you to never use automotive oil in a bike)?

<Any more input from you and others would really be appreciated, as I <am
just
<about to go and buy oil for my first change.

Hi....I work for a petroleum distribution company and do a lot of research
regarding the chemical compostition of petroleum products etc.  My
understanding is that the "Triumph Mobil 1" like any other motorcycle
specific oil has specific additives to protect the transmission gears,
promote slicker shifting, prevent viscosity breakdown, keep dirt particles
in suspension etc. etc. that the automotive oils, synthetic or otherwise do
not.

While I doubt you would see any major "damage" to your engine from using a
quality automotive synthetic, I feel your engine would have a greater
measure of protection and in general perform a bit better with a motorcycle
specific synthetic.  At least that has been my experience.

In addition, most people do not realize that the latest (most stringent)API
classification of automotive oils was actually an effort to introduce
friction modifiers to enable cars to get slightly better gas mileage at the
cost of less engine wear protection.  Studies I have read demonstrate that
the  new additive package while fine for cars not not provide as good
protection in the very stressed environment of a motorcycle engine.  There
was a very good article on this subject in one of the major US cycle mags
about a year ago.

Hope this helps....

Charlie