Re: New kid on the block

At 05:56 PM 5/24/99 +0200, Macadam wrote:

>After two months with the ST I noticed some minor problem: after having had
>the crankcase bolts being replaced by the dealer (didn't see the invoice
>yet, so I suppose no charge)  the engine started leaking oil. It's leaking
>where you have the axle of the gear selector coming out of the engine. Has
>anyone else experienced an oil leakage there or is this just me?

I am getting a littls leakage dripping from the shifter entry to the case,
when the oil is warm after riding, perhaps two teaspoons max.  It is now in
for sump bolts changing (as well as bodywork), and we had thought thsi may
be sump leakage running along the case to the shifter entry when on the
sidestand.  Sounds from what you say there may be a seal problem there
instead.

>Can anyone give me some advice on the suspension settings: Scraped the
>right side of the fairing in a nice curve (two on the bike). Must say there
>was a little bump in the road. I've "hardened" the rear part but haven'
>touched the fork yet.

I run both front and rear on the stiff settings, as I am a little on the
heavy side.  I have ridden two-up with normal, stiff, and two-up settings,
and strongly recommend not riding two-up on the normal settings.  Very
mushy and not precise and low ground clearance.  Also, you should probably
not ride with fronts and rears mis-matched on the settings, as I have heard
this can cause troubles, but cannot verify on my own experience.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx