Overheating Update

Quite some time ago I reported an overheating problem with my new ST which
was purchased on 9/11/99.  After 1 visit to the dealer and 2 refills of the
radiator the bike went in the shop on 9/30 with less than 700 miles on the
meter.  I finally got the bike back on 10/30.

Fortunately, during a portion of my "down" time my dealer provided a loaner
Triumph, a Trophy 1200.  Nice bike.  It will pass most anything other than
a gas station.  Lots of torque, comfortable, and I really could get used to
those hard bags.

Back to the ST, this past weekend I rode for 200+ miles and the gauge
remained in the lower portion and the cooling fan came on for just a few
seconds at an extended stop.

The problem?  First diagnoses was a bubble in the cooling system, 2nd was a
defective head gasket, 3rd (and I hope final) was a defective cylinder
head.  The real bad news was that no cylinder heads were in the US.  One
had to air freighted to Triumph America and then overnighted to my dealer.
Another 2-3  days and I again had my bike.

The only good to come of this extended stay was that I had previously
ordered silver powder coated wheels to be installed and they arrived and
were installed at the same time thereby eliminating another visit to the
dealer.  The silver wheels look very nice with the Black ST.

Last night I took off the seat, bodywork around the seat, and the left mid
fairing.  Radiator was full.  Overflow was at minimum.

Question:  Have any of you noticed small traces (drops) of coolant on the
metal work below the overflow?  I noticed small drops during my Sunday run.
 Perhaps the general sloshing of the fluid or a poor connection?

Anybody else experience similar overheating problems?  If so, what was the
problem.

BTW, when one goes without a new bike for an extended period of time one
begins to think of alternatives.  The Aluminium Silver Daytona looks
awfully attractive!

Rick Young
'99 ST, Black