EU headlights ???

I know this has come up before, as I remember people asking how
they could rewire the bike so that both headlights work at once.
I thought that they did both operate simultaneously on my first
Sprint (now, sadly, defunct) bought just 6 months ago, but on
the new one, it's one side for dipped and one for main beam. Has
this changed, or am I labouring under an illusion here?
And if it has, does it have anything to do with EU regulations
or what?

Tim