Ohlins Shock Info

I've also decided that I need to replace the rear shock on my ST. So in
preparation I've done a bit of home work. Here's what I've got so far, hope
it helps.

The part  number is TR-815 It is a 46PRCS type shock .This is a piggy back
reservoir, with adjustable rebound damping, adjustable compression damping,
and a external hydraulic preload adjuster. The shock as shipped from Ohlins
is supplied with a 14Kg spring this is rated for a 165lb rider! Now when
ordering the shock if you weight more than 165lbs or have panniers on the
bike or ride 2 up a lot you will need to get the shock with a heavier
spring the way this works is as follows:
14kg spring as shipped 165lb rider
15kg spring 195-200lb rider
16kg spring 225-230lb rider
17kg spring 255-260lb rider
(I don't know if Ohlins makes a heavier than 17kg spring)

As you can tell each increment of 1 kg is equal to an increase of 30-35
lbs. Now keep in mind that
  Ohlins in their design of the shock was NOT including the weight of the
panniers. I don't know about the weight of the three pannier set but the
two pannier set weighs about 30lbs. ( including hardware, but not including
load etc) Now the way that the units with the external preload adjusters
works is that it is set from the factory with the correct amount of preload
dialed into the shock. The external adjuster will allow about 15-20mm of
sag adjustment. But this is assuming that one orders the shock with the
correct weight spring! If you weight 190lbs and have the two pannier set
installed and you don't have the correct spring the bike will NEVER be
right, you will never be able to get the preload right ,and you will never
be able to get the compression and damping settings optimized, and you will
be paying for performance that you will never realize. Trust me I know,
BTDT.  Also if one orders the shock from the beginning with the correct
spring there should be no additional charge but in my experience if one has
to change the spring later it will be for $50.00 to $150 charge!  also the
current USA retail price is appx. $1000.00 not cheap but the best never is :-)

Erik
black, the color of champions