RE: Fuel economy

Bill wrote :

> Previously, you (Retherford, Martin) wrote:
> > On a similar note I rode 212 miles on a tank and it was
> sputtering big time.
> > When I got some gas the next day I had put 5.1XX US gallons
> into the tank.
>
> This brings up a question I've never seen a definitive answer to: how
> much gas does the ST use?  The numbers I've seen are all over.
>
> I've heard city numbers down in the 40-45 mpg range and
> highway up to 65
> but I don't know if this is accurate.
>
> Let's be more precise: if you were NOT in city (stop-and-go)
> traffic and
> were NOT heavy on the trottle (i.e. just having a fun cruise in the
> country, averaging perhaps 50mph) how many miles per gallon do you
> expect?  Or how far on a tank?  (I can do the math.)
>
> And what if you were making miles on the freeway in the best
> Saddle Sore
> tradition, how far between fillups?
>
> I want to know what to expect ... soon now.

Well Bill,

I have of course the faster ST (Blue) and I cover about 170 miles per day on
my ST.  I have found the following:

With country lane driving mixed with motorway driving and the stock can I
can average 50 miles per UK gallon. This riding is hard on the gas during
the country lanes (speeds from 20mph upto 130mph with full throttle and
cruising at 80mph on the motorways - I spend about 70-75 miles doing the
country lane stuff - the rest is motorway.

I have found over the last few rides that now I have had my race can fitted,
that the fuel consumption has risen and I can now only achieve approx. 45-46
miles per UK gallon.

So with this in mind, I ALWAYS fill up when I hit 200 miles or I will soon
run out of petrol.

Hope this helps.

Mark Smithers.