Re: Top box only?

- --=====================_3803571==_.ALT

At 08:52 AM 11/15/99 -0800, Marc Cook wrote:
>Here's a silly question. Has anyone fitted just the top box?

Yup.  I don't need much room for just banging around, as I am not much of a tour-bug.  I also much prefer the pipe in the upswept position.  My Norton had strongly upswept pipes and I never got used to the low-pipe look.  The big issue for me is can the top box hold both helmets (Shoei XX + Shoei M), and the answer is yes.  I normally ride the bike without the box on, mounting it just when I need it.  Takes 10 seconds and leaves the bike with the original look (except for the rack) when it is off.

>Does it look terrible?

Kind of like a Spanish galleon, with the rear deck and officer's cabin high and behind the boat, hanging out over the water.  ;-)

Some people say it looks like a pizza delivery box.

I don't mind it.  I actually prefer that it is not super integrated into the look of the bike, because when you look at the bike, you tend to see the bike as a separate thing from the box.  When you look at a Gold Wing, it's hard to imagine what it looks like without the luggage.  With the top-box on the ST, it is very much an ST with this extra widget on there.

>I have a need to commute on the ST and don't really want to be banging mirrors on the freeway with saddlebags.

Go for it.  You don't see the box when you drive, and you can actually use the box as a briefcase, taking it in with you to work.  Or, you can leave it on the bike and swap the briefcase for the helmet.  The mounting mechanism is very securely locked and fastened; there is no way to get the box off without the key unless you physically destroy the box or the luggage rack.

And, were I still single, I would probably leave the box on all the time.  Allows carrying an extra helmet/gloves/jacket and provides a backrest for the occasional unexpected pillion occupant.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx
- --=====================_3803571==_.ALT

At 08:52 AM 11/15/99 -0800, Marc Cook wrote:<br>
just the top box? </blockquote><br>
Yup.&nbsp; I don't need much room for just banging around, as I am not
much of a tour-bug.&nbsp; I also much prefer the pipe in the upswept
position.&nbsp; My Norton had strongly upswept pipes and I never got used
to the low-pipe look.&nbsp; The big issue for me is can the top box hold
both helmets (Shoei XX + Shoei M), and the answer is yes.&nbsp; I
normally ride the bike without the box on, mounting it just when I need
it.&nbsp; Takes 10 seconds and leaves the bike with the original look
(except for the rack) when it is off.<br>
Kind of like a Spanish galleon, with the rear deck and officer's cabin
high and behind the boat, hanging out over the water.&nbsp; ;-)<br>
Some people say it looks like a pizza delivery box.<br>
I don't mind it.&nbsp; I actually prefer that it is not super integrated
into the look of the bike, because when you look at the bike, you tend to
see the bike as a separate thing from the box.&nbsp; When you look at a
Gold Wing, it's hard to imagine what it looks like without the
luggage.&nbsp; With the top-box on the ST, it is very much an ST with
this extra widget on there.<br>
really want to be banging mirrors on the freeway with
saddlebags.</blockquote><br>
Go for it.&nbsp; You don't see the box when you drive, and you can
actually use the box as a briefcase, taking it in with you to work.&nbsp;
Or, you can leave it on the bike and swap the briefcase for the
helmet.&nbsp; The mounting mechanism is very securely locked and
fastened; there is no way to get the box off without the key unless you
physically destroy the box or the luggage rack.<br>
And, were I still single, I would probably leave the box on all the
time.&nbsp; Allows carrying an extra helmet/gloves/jacket and provides a
backrest for the occasional unexpected pillion occupant.<br>
_______&nbsp;&nbsp; ___,---. ---+_______:_&nbsp;&nbsp; |Rich
Weyand</div>
|TracTronics</div>
RR Electronics</div>