Re: Time to buy

> > I'm 6'1" and felt a bit cramped when sitting on the bike in the showroom.  ....  Has anyone experience leg cramping on the long haul or found any way to lower the pegs? < <

> I'm 49, 6'0" and about 240# and while I can easily do a 3-400mi. day on the ST, I'm not so sure I'd wanna do a cross country trip on it, ....  If long distance stuff really appeals to you, you may be better off with a Honda ST1100 or similar. <

I've been in lurker mode for a while as I think Lisa offers enough input
for our family.  I thought however, that I'd add my $.02 to this
question and response.

I am 6'2" around 190 #s and my wife is around 5'8" and ... (Yeah right,
like I can publish her weight without permission).  Like many listees
know, we ride a matching set of Red Sts, Lisa's with almost 14000 miles
and mine with almost 11000 miles.  We have not done extremely long days
like Eric and Mark, but we have made the Arkansas rally (1700 miles over
3 days) and a Utah Trip (4200 miles over 2 weeks).  On the Arkansas trip
we did our longest single-day ride of 600 miles, and it was on the
return trip.  On the Utah trip, most of the miles were put on going up
and coming back, with a 6 day stay over to watch the races.  On this
trip, our longest day was 534 miles, but we also managed 3 consecutive
days of 420-450 miles each on the way back.  This was after two previous
days that were shorter (350 and 250) as we stopped to see the sights
(Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon).  We would do either of these trips
again in a NY minute if we had the vacation time left.  We also wouldn't
choose any other bike to do this on.  Read NO COMPLAINTS HERE!

Major that is.  We do try and stop every 100-120 miles to relieve the
pressure on the bum.  On the 534 mile day, we averaged 150 miles between
stops, and for us that is a bit much.  If the reports on the Sargent
seats are very favorable, we may consider these.  But we do not find the
risers to be required.  My knees are fairly bad,  and I was anticipating
a significant amount of discomfort on our Utah trip, but I am glad to
report that there was none.

Choosing the right tool is indeed important, but I could never (sorry, I
shouldn't say never, but it slipped) see getting an ST 1100 unless I
intended to eat up a lot of highway miles, as in an IB rally.  However,
our intention is to enjoy life's curves, and for this, our tool of
choice to get us there, AND competently run through the curves is the
ST.

Also, If you noticed one of Paul Steinbacher's other replies, you would
notice that he is a high mileage rider with 18000 miles on his bike.  He
made a round about trip to and from the Arkansas rally that totaled over
6000 miles, with his wife on back pushing him to go farther and FASTER.

Bear in mind, this has been my humble opinion, and I am simply offering
it as another point of reference.

..Richard White

<Lurker mode on>