Re: Underseat exhausts

If I can't get this pannier system worked out, I'll just have to stay
stock and go with some throwover's.

John,

I'm in a similar position, I love the sporty look of the bike and plan
to enhance this aspect, but I use the bike as a daily commuter and the
panniers are very handy for that. A good compromise is to remove the
right hand pannier and fit the exhaust in the stock position. You still
have the left hand case which is sufficient for everyday usage (for me
anyway).

I plan on looking at some sort of convenient release mechanism for the rack
and pannier hardware over the new year period. If I could install / remove
all the luggage in under an hour without removing the bodywork I'd be very
happy.

I plan on replacing the stock nuts and washers on the rack and the pannier
bracket fixings under the side panels with captive nuts. If I reverse the
direction of the bolts under the panels, this means I can remove all these
hard to get at bolts without removing the bodywork. A sliding bracket will
accomodate adjustment of the exhaust (already have something similar on my
Guzzi). Does anyone know of a Dutz type quick release fastner which would
be up to the job of holding the pannier side rails?

I still haven't figured out what to do about the indicators being out on
stalks and need some way of bracing the boxes when I chop the rear guard
off (I can't help it. I'm just too used to looking at the rear tyre of my
bikes instead of a lump of plastic.) I normally put a set of carbon mini
indicators tucked in under the tail section but the panniers take up all
the space here. I do have a set of car side repeater type indicator lamps
but from a safety perspective they're pretty useless. They sure look good
though!

Martin,
Dublin, Ireland