Re: Blue Bulb

Previously, you (James Lock) wrote:
> [... snip ...]
> I,
> however, seldom ride at night and I do "think" the blue bulb does stand out
> in traffic during the day.

Anything different will stand out.  Some different things will stand out
more than others.  I have my own preference.

And like you I don't make a habit of riding at night.  The last few
evenings have been an unusual exception.

> I also run my high beams during the day at all
> times.

MSF teaches that this is a good thing.  I'm inclined to believe them.

> Maybe I have reconstructed too many MC collisions, maybe I'm
> paranoid, who knows.....

A healthy dose of paranoia never hurt any rider.

> My purpose is for an observer looking my way to
> become aware or my bike.  I do not run the blue bulb to enhance my ability
> to see.  Thanks for the feedback and the site info.

On my Nighthawk I installed a headlight oscilator circuit, hooked into
the high-beam circuit.  During the day this would flash back and forth
between low- and high-beam.  There is a light sensor to disable this at
night.

Judging by the number of people who told me there was something wrong
with my my lights, or to "stop flashing your @#$@# lights at me", I know
it made people aware of my bike.  Twice I've even had people go out of
there way to follow me into a gas station to let me know that I should
look into the wiring "problem" that was causing my headlights to flash.

I'd politely thank them and let them know that it was supposed to do
that.

I've never had any problem with the authorities.  In fact it was a cop
who suggested it, and another who sold me the unit and installed it
free.  (Local MSF instructors.)  I'll be installing one on the ST ASAP.

- --
Bill Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"