Running with high beams

Richard Weyand wrote:

>As for high beams, I drive with the low beams on, and flash or hold my high
>beams on when approaching intersections with cagers-in-waiting, such as
>those holding to make a left across my path.

The one serious bike accident I've had was because a London bus driver
decided my long warning flash of high beam meant I was giving way to him, so
he pulled out in front of me.

The UK Highway Code clearly says a flash of headlights should only be
interpreted as a warning of a vehicle's presence.  However, the bus driver
told the police that I'd flashed my light to let him pull out and the police
wanted to prosecute ME for driving without due care & attention.
Fortunately they listened to a witness who confirmed my side of the story,
they dropped the charges and my friend forgave me for converting her bike
into a pile of parts.

The lesson was simple: never flash your lights at people.

Neil