Break-in (was Re: HTML test posting)

Previously, you (serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> 	On an ST note, my new '00 ST has arrived at Shore Power and Sport (Freehold,
> NJ) and is being set up. I have ordered matching blue panniers, hugger, extenders for
> front and rear mudguards and a taller windscreen. I'm ready to rumble!

My blue panniers are on back-order.  Peachtree is out of them.  :-(

> 	I have read with interest that the first 100 or so miles are to be treated with great
> care. This is my third Hinckley Triumph and want to break in the engine/systems
> correctly. If anyone would like to give me first hand advice or some do's and don'ts,
> send 'em to me off list or share it with the group.

When I took the bike in for the 500 mile service last night (odometer
read exactly "500" -- I'm not anal, it was a coincidence ... really!)
the mechanics had just come back from England where they had attended
the Y2K factory training.

The issue of break-in had been discussed in class.  Triumph told them to
start telling customers that just before the 500 mile service to ignore
the 6K rpm and half-throttle limits and really start wailing on the
thing.  Those last 50 miles or so should be pushing the bike HARD !!!

Why? Because at 500 miles you switch from run-in oil to full synthetic.
>From that point on your engine almost stops "aging".  Not quite, but it
changes REAL SLOW from that point on.

I told the wrenches: "Thanks for the info, but it is TOO LATE."

> Happy Thanksgiving (to those celebrating)

This will be the 2nd time I'll celebrate US Thanksgiving.  Then the next
morning I help lead a RAT ride from Jackson's Triumph of Clearwater.  If
the turnout is small I ride sweeper.  If large I lead the 2nd group.

I hope I don't get lost.

- --
Bill Flowers
Clearwater FL