Re: flasher

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, David Arnett wrote:

> Come to think about it, you may be right.  Although, I have gotten
off of my bike and stomped around the sensing area, having the gate
open...maybe I was wearing steel toe boots??  I will try dragging
my feet (with steel toe boots on) across the sensor and see if it
works.  I would bet that it won't even sense it!!  I might have to
"stash" a metal bar (magic wand) in the bushes.  The complex for
which I live is pretty stingy about handing out extra gate remotes,
so I leave the only one I have in my truck.  I wonder if the sensors
are more sensitive to steel, making our bikes (predominately
aluminum/magnesium, with exception to the thin exhaust header and
a few odd fasteners, inner engine components being shielded by oil
in the pan) invisible??

Yup, for the most part they are. But don't forget about the chain.
If you watch them install one of those detectors you will notice
that they are a ring of wire, basically all they are is a large
inductor. When you put metal in the field it changes the reluctance
of the inductor, thus chaging the amount of current passing throught
the coil at a given frequency. (so, I think this is like the 6 or
7th time I've used my EE degree)

If you think about it, weight sensors would be completely useless
in area that freezes.

As far as the remote, same with my complex. So when I hit the bike,
I put the remote in my right front pocket, and when I get back I
try to remember to put it back in the truck. But I wind up having
to stop by the keypad half the time in my truck.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>

5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945