Re: Leaking Fuel

In a message dated 11/29/99 2:03:17 AM, carloc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< So, I got off the rear faring and found that it was in fact leaking
near where the hoses go into the tank. Upon investigation, I found
that an O-ring in one of those white snap-ons was brocken.
I changed it and thought that the problem was fixed but it wasn't.
Something is still leaking in the same area but I haven't been able
to identify exactly where.
Can those folks that had a similar problem please let me know what
their finding was and how it was fixed?

I had exactly that problem on my '99 Sprint ST last week (only 2400 miles on
the clock). There are two connections to the tank at the place you
mention-(rear of tank-right side.) One is the white plastic snap-on you
mention. The other is a grey right-angle male fitting that looks like iron,
but which is grey plastic. Because it is a right angle, and the outer part
has to face in a certain direction, in must be tightened in 360 dehree
increments. The fix was tighten it another turn. Some teflon tape was also
added to the threads, which looked imperfectly formed, but the extra turn was
probably what did the trick. It seemed necessary to take the tank out to be
able to swing the fitting around. The work was done promptly at Rocket
Motorcycles in San Diego, at no cost to me.
I mused that in years gone by, there would be metal male spigots welded to
the tank (or petcocks if in a dependent part of the tank) with neoprene hoses
pushed over them, secured with hose clamps. While pesky to disconnect during
tank removal, and eventually leaking when the neoprene perished, these
fittings would be gasoline-tight for many years.