Re: First Bike?

I'm going to supply an ambiguous non-answer below.

Previously, you (Matt Knowles) wrote:
> Do you really want a Sprint ST as your first bike? NO, NO, NO! It has too
> much power and weight for a beginner and you will most likely be in over
> your head. Start with a used bike in the 400-600cc range and ride that for
> a year. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want for your next bike,
> and you won't cry nearly as much if you drop a bike you spent $2K on versus
> $11K.

Although the ST is powerful it is marvelously well-controlled.  The
trottle isn't just a binary device with two settings (on/off) but can be
easily held to tamer settings.

Although it is heavier than some ideal first bikes, it isn't
signficantly heavier than the Nighthawk 450 I learned on and came from.
Also, the weight the ST has is better balanced with a lower
center-of-gravity, so it might actually be better from that point of
view.

I can roll the ST forward in rush hour traffic when it is creeping
towards a stoplight without any balance problems.  I could never do this
with the Nighthawk.  Also I can balance the ST for seconds while at a
stop without putting my feet down.  If I tried that with the Nighthawk
it would go over immediately (the wider ST tires helps, but so does the
COG).

So in some ways it is a great bike for a rider of almost any skill
level, assuming they have the self-discipline to use the power wisely.

However, the comments about beginners dropping bikes isn't to be
ignored.  Although there are a few supermen (and women) who have never
had a parking lot drop they are few and far between.  I am a cautious
and analytical (who said "anal"?) person.  Despite this I dropped the
NIghthawk twice, ignoring the time I gently set it down to get it out of
the quicksand that was swallowing the front wheel, but that's another
story.

Both "downs" were 0 mph parking lot drops.  One when my foot slid off
the edge of the sidewalk I park on here at the office.  The other was a
time I was sure it was in neutral and I was only returning videos so I
didn't bother to kill the engine.  Put the sidestand down, hopped off
and let go the clutch.  Boom!

I used both of them as learning experiences so I will hopefully avoid
dropping my much more expensive ST.

Would I buy an ST as my first bike if I could go back and do it again?
Maybe.  But only if I had the $$$ to pay for the new bodywork I was sure
to need.  Or take off the plastic and ride it nekkid for a few months.
YUK!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

- --
Bill Flowers