From: Pete Berg [mailto:Pete_Berg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 1999 8:17 PM
To: Sprint ST
Subject: Can you repair scratched bodywork?

It was perfect weather last Saturday--sunny and dry.  I was stopped at a
red light, waiting to turn right.  Angle of the turn was sharp--less than
90 degrees.  Light turned green, and I took off kind of aggressively in
first gear, leaning hard but feeling in control.  Next thing I know, it's
sliding out from under me.  Whoa!  Picked myself up off the ground.
Physically, I was fine.  Then I tried to pick the bike up.  Discovered that
there is no way I--all 5' 8" and 145 pounds of me--can pick it up by
myself.  Fortunately, a good samaritan helped.

First thing--a damage assessment.   #*$#!    Right side is all scratched
up.  Upper and lower fairings, and the right pannier are all scarred.

Next, inspected the road surface.  What happened?  Noticed a trace of
gravel.  Could this have caused the slide?  I mean, we're just talking a
few teaspoons of gravel.  My conclusion: rider error.  I was pushing the
envelope a little bit.

Anyway, is this bodywork repairable?  Or is replacement the only solution?
I know from reading your postings that a few of you have had similar
unhappy misfortunes.