RE: And another wounded ST.....

- --=====================_132775311==_.ALT

At 11:31 AM 10/4/99 -0700, Bruce McCurdy wrote:

>With regard to your accident in NYC, first let me offer my condolences.  I
>had an accident very much like yours in '92, a panel van turned right, no
>signal, from a stop light just as I was sneaking past on the right side.
>The bad news is I was cited as "at fault" as I was passing on the right (at
>about 5 mph) between the right-most lane of "traffic" and the parked cars.
>In CA, lane sharing is legal, but only in the center between two parallel
>lanes, not on the right next to the parked cars.  Or so I was told at the
>time by my insurance company.

I was told by a policeman here that, in Illinois at least, 8 open feet of pavement is a lane, even if it is not striped.  If you sneak through less than that, you are not in a lane, but if there is an eight foot or wider gap, it is in fact a lane.  Surprised me.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx
- --=====================_132775311==_.ALT

At 11:31 AM 10/4/99 -0700, Bruce McCurdy wrote:<br>
me offer my condolences.&nbsp; I<br>
had an accident very much like yours in '92, a panel van turned right,
no<br>
signal, from a stop light just as I was sneaking past on the right
side.<br>
The bad news is I was cited as &quot;at fault&quot; as I was passing on
the right (at<br>
about 5 mph) between the right-most lane of &quot;traffic&quot; and the
parked cars.<br>
In CA, lane sharing is legal, but only in the center between two
parallel<br>
lanes, not on the right next to the parked cars.&nbsp; Or so I was told
at the<br>
time by my insurance company.</blockquote><br>
I was told by a policeman here that, in Illinois at least, 8 open feet of
pavement is a lane, even if it is not striped.&nbsp; If you sneak through
less than that, you are not in a lane, but if there is an eight foot or
wider gap, it is in fact a lane.&nbsp; Surprised me.<br>
_______&nbsp;&nbsp; ___,---. ---+_______:_&nbsp;&nbsp; |Rich
Weyand</div>
|TracTronics</div>
RR Electronics</div>